- The DemocracyReady NY Coalition is convened by the Center for Educational Equity (CEE), a policy and research center, at Teachers College, Columbia University. CEE’s expertise and experience in students’ rights, education policy, civic participation, and public engagement position it to lead the Coalition.
- Founded in 2005 by educational law scholar Michael A. Rebell, who successfully litigated the landmark educational-rights lawsuit, CFE v. State of New York, the Center for Educational Equity champions the right of children nationwide to a meaningful opportunity to graduate from high school prepared for college, careers, and civic participation. It works to define and secure the resources, supports, and services necessary to guarantee this right to all children, particularly children in poverty and children of color.
- CEE Executive Director Michael Rebell is the author of the acclaimed 2018 book Flunking Democracy: Schools, Courts, and Civic Participation.
- On November 29, 2018, Rebell filed a federal class action suit to establish a right under the U.S. Constitution to an adequate education to prepare young people for full civic participation. Read more about the lawsuit.
- DemocracyReady NY Coalition partners are educators, researchers, academics, students, parents, advocates, youth-development specialists, legal experts, and civic leaders. We strive to be geographically representative, politically inclusive, and racially and socioeconomically diverse.
- Under the coalition’s banner, a broad and diverse group work together to strengthen the state’s education policy and practice to ensure all New York’s schools are fully equipped and supported to meet their students’ civic-learning needs.
Organizations (in formation)
Alliance for Quality Education
Angelo Del Toro Puerto Rican/Hispanic Youth Leadership Institute
Capital Region Institute for Human Rights
Center for Children's Initiatives
Center for Educational Equity at Teachers College, Columbia University
Citizens’ Committee for Children
Democracy Prep Public Schools
Facing History and Ourselves
League of Women Voters of New York City
League of Women Voters New York State
New York State Council for the Social Studies
New York State Council of School Superintendents
New York State Grange
New York State Parent Teachers Association
New York State Rural Schools Association
New York State School Boards Association
New York State Social Studies Supervisory Association
New York State United Teachers
Next Generation Politics
The Education Trust - New York
United Federation of Teachers
Westchester Putnam School Boards Association
Women’s City Club of New York
Jason Clark, Metropolitan Black Bar Association
Shira Epstein, The City College of New York
Joe Karb, Springville Middle School
Brett Levy, University at Albany, SUNY
Ioana Literat, Teachers College, Columbia University
Yolanda Sealey-Ruiz, Teachers College, Columbia University
Laura Smith, Teachers College, Columbia University
- The DemocracyReady NY Coalition includes and honors the voices and leadership of young people in its work. Youth leaders—11th and 12th graders from diverse regions across the state—have been selected as the Coalition’s first Youth Leadership Initiative cohort.
- The DemocracyReady NY youth leaders join forces with the other Coalition individuals and organizations to ensure that New York students are fully prepared to participate in the civic activities and decision-making that affect them and their peers, as well as their families, their communities, and our broader society..